Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Social Networking and Collaboration...

Upon the completion of the assigned readings for tomorrow's class, only one of the topics remains with me...SUSTAINABILITY...

Although "sustainability" was never used in Smart Mobs, I do believe that is what Mr. Rheingold was referring to when he mention the regulation of the use of common areas (i.e grazing pastures, aqueducts, etc). (p 34/35) While I do not feel as though he did a good connecting this story to social networking as a whole, I do feel as though this story is analagous for two different situations.

1.) How big can the internet grow without over-running itself???

2.) Is it possible for a network (on a smaller level...maybe Facebook) to become too big.

3.) Who should be in control of regulating the internet???( This is a whole other blog post...Keep your eye out for this one....)

While the first question is far beyond the reaches of my current intellectual capacity, I do have an idea about the latter. I would say that Facebook is a prime example of a network becoming too large. At its inception, Facebook was just a community for college students. It was great!!! Over the past eighteen months or so, it has drastically changed. It went from being a college network, to a high school and college network, to being a network open to the public. I noticed that it was much more difficult to locate people because there were so many more "Joe Shmoe's" in such a large network than in the network of yore. This was just one of many issues that arose from the evolution of Facebook. There were also security/privacy issues that arose with some of the new "features" installed in Facebook.

I dunno, I just think it is important not to spread too thin....and large networks tend to do exactly that.